Hello !
[MgC] Multi Gaming Collective
21 February 2018, 08:41:43 pm
  Home Team   Forum   Map Upload Maps Topwins Arcade Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THIS SERVER WILL SOON DIE  (Read 2280 times)
[MgC]Surreal_Killer
Haxor Hunter
Administrator
Elite Member

Awsomosity: 8999

Server Daddy

View Profile WWW
« on: 14 March 2017, 09:44:32 pm »

As you know, there has been very little activity here over the last couple of years.  I have left the server running with no maintenance for those that wish to play.  However, a couple of weeks ago one of the server power supplies died.  Is it only a matter of (not much) time before the other one dies, and/or the disks fail.  Everything will be lost at that point in time - THERE IS NO BACKUP!.  Therefore, anyone who wishes to continue with the servers or the forum should make themselves know to me so that they can take over the running (and the associated costs) of a new home for this environment.  Otherwise, it's been great knowing you all.

=====================================
Surreal Killer is HERE.  A new server, a Bigger KickStick and a freshly polished Banwand!!
Watch it you Haxor Mo Fo's
Battletoads
Bro
Administrator

Awsomosity: 2

Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2017, 04:06:25 pm »

Hey! Bad news Sad
If server will die i must stop to play MTA, because for me MTA=MgC Race Server.
So i can try to host Race server on SRVGame.ru platform. Its good game hosting base in Moscow, Russia. I already have Killing Floor 2 server on this platform.

Upload/Download 100Mbit | Intel Core i7 4790K | NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti | 16 Gb RAM
[MgC]Surreal_Killer
Haxor Hunter
Administrator
Elite Member

Server Daddy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2017, 09:40:09 pm »

We currently have 2 Windows servers, both tightly coupled because all the scripts and code work between the 2 servers to do all the maps/mapping and update points etc.  For the forum and servers to work, you will need to either have 2 Windows servers, or somehow uncouple all of the code.  xicles and Javacat are the 2 people who made it all work, but I suspect they have forgotten most of it because it was several years ago!
Let me know what you want to do, but what we have is a complex system

Surreal Killer is HERE.  A new server, a Bigger KickStick and a freshly polished Banwand!!
Battletoads
Bro
Administrator

Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2017, 10:58:48 am »

... okay, i think its possible to host 2 servers (Race & DD)

Upload/Download 100Mbit | Intel Core i7 4790K | NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti | 16 Gb RAM
TRaiNo#

Awsomosity: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 10:07:39 pm »

Why having such a design?
Try rewriting the code in a more flexible way... well, if it's worth it...

TRaiNo# ™
[MgC]Surreal_Killer
Haxor Hunter
Administrator
Elite Member

Server Daddy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2017, 09:22:47 pm »

Battletoads, you misunderstand.  You will need a separate Windows server for the forums and code, AS WELL as the servers for the games.  Potentially you will need 3 servers.  At least 2 dedicated Windows servers.  The MTA game server code runs on one Windows server, and the forums, results tables, map voting etc. all runs on another.

It's this complicated because we could do it like this.  We can keep the servers separate for performance and security reasons, whilst providing all the other great stuff.  It's just a shame no one plays here any more and no one is maintaining the servers.  The servers also sit behind their own firewall, and have mirrored disks and dual PSUs for redundancy.  Sadly, one PSU is dead (and for all I know, one disk might be dead also) and so whichever fails first, means the end of the servers.

Regarding performance.... One of the reasons the server had quite good access times from around the world is that it currently sits in the UK's top tier 1 datacentre, one of only 3 or 4 places where the Internet actually arrives in the UK, so there is no better place to get consistent and fast access.

Whatever people might think, a *LOT* of thought, effort and money went into providing these servers

Battletoads
Bro
Administrator

Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2017, 09:12:35 am »

Oh, got it. So i can host only game servers Sad
Anyway i still play on MgC servers until they die (hope it does not happens)

FuZ
Fag

Awsomosity: -105

no

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2017, 02:59:43 pm »

Hey!

It's sad to see that the server will have such a fate. I sometimes use to play here during my free time. Considering that this is the place where I grew up as an MTA player, I'd like to at least try to help. I hope I'm not a controversial figure here anymore Smiley

You will need a separate Windows server for the forums and code, AS WELL as the servers for the games.  Potentially you will need 3 servers.  At least 2 dedicated Windows servers.  The MTA game server code runs on one Windows server, and the forums, results tables, map voting etc. all runs on another.

Is there any special action needed to transfer the servers? Or is it just as simple as pasting the files into the server? We at fox currently have a VPS hosting our Race and DD server, but we mainly use them for training so we could scrap one of them if there were additional servers to host, it just takes more resources. The price, as far as i know, isn't affected by the volume stocked. Honya knows more since he takes care of the payments and all this stuff. Our scripter says the VPS can act as a platform for multiple servers, so there shouldn't be any problem. Now if you, SK, think there are more things which need to be taken care of when moving the servers, such as even a hosting platform, you let me know. All we should hope now is that the server doesn't go very soon. There are still some players playing and if it lasted for 2017 at least, I'd say it had enough. MTA is getting more and more inactive and there are only 2 race servers frequented by a large amount of players.

My pride !

[MgC]Polak
MgC-Members

Awsomosity: 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2017, 02:59:53 pm »

SK,

Stop making it sound like it's rocket science. Maybe it is for the kids here on the forums, but the topology you described is very, VERY simple.

So give us the servers if you really want to quit. I for one, started playing on MgC again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: